The Thurston Bountiful Byway in Olympia, Washington takes travelers on a 60-mile scenic adventure featuring local farms, wineries, farmers markets, distilleries and natural attractions. With its straight from the source foodie finds ranging from wine, cheese, fruit and more, this vacation offers some tasty souvenirs:
- Raw Honey at the Yelm Farmers Market: The market runs Sundays with a variety of delicious treats. Don’t miss the Maple Honey from Bee Forever Apiary, along with a variety of fresh cheeses and locally crafted goods.
- Handcrafted Cocktails and Spirits from Sandstone Distillery: Visitors are encouraged to stop by Sandstone Distillery in Tenino for locally sourced spirits. From an Avocado Martini or a Lemon Basil Gimlet to a Black Gin Orange Delight or the Bacon Chaos—there’s something for everyone. Sandstone makes its popular Lemon Basil Gimlet available by the bottle. No mixing required for this refreshing twist on a timeless classic with the infusion of Basil Syrup, fresh basil leaves and lemon.
- OlyKraut at the Olympia Farmers Market: The Olympia Farmers Market is the second largest farmers market in Washington State, and located near the waterfront. Find fresh, top-quality regional produce, meats, seafood, baked goods and flowers. The OlyKraut station is not to be missed. The fermented cabbage is a local foodie favorite, that will have you rethinking sauerkraut. Since 2008, OlyKraut has been handcrafting sauerkrauts, pickles, and sipping brines in Olympia. Visitors can purchase the gourmet goods at the Olympia Farmers Market 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (April-Oct: Thurs-Sun; Nov-Dec: Sat-Sun).
- Bring the Byway home: Taste through the Byway’s four wineries, two distilleries and two breweries. Take in the smells and sounds of a local brewhouse, ran by firefighters, or step back in time while sipping wine in a winery that looks like an 1800’s vintage New Orleans brothel. From unique merlots to local coffee and brewery creations, there is something for everyone to take home and savor.
- Keep calm and vacation on: Visit the Evergreen Valley Lavender Farm and sit amongst the lavender varieties in the warm sunshine. Pick up some lavender essential oil to keep the calm going all year-round.
- Try the local Flavor: Award-winning apple cider beckons visitors, but nothing beats the fresh-made apple fritters. In fact, they were voted the flavor of Thurston County in a recent contest and even have a local candy flavor made after the sweet mix of cinnamon and deliciousness. Lattin’s Country Cider Mill & Farm’s baby farm animals and goat walk will make hearts smile.